- Treat others the way you want to be treated.
- And in time this too shall pass. My mom used to tell me this all the time when I would come home crying from school. I actually plan on this phrase being my next tattoo.
- Don't judge a book by it's cover. Or in Auggie's case, a boy by his face. Some of the best books are the one lacking in cover art.
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I'm not sure where this originated, but it is now a line of a famous Kelly Clarkson song. It came to me in a time of life where I really needed to hear that.
- What goes around, comes around. This one has let me hold on to hope that no deed goes unpunished. I would like to think that karma is there and will take care of those who need it.
These are my precepts. I love that in the book they are introduced to this concept in the fifth grade. I would love to incorporate this into my teaching in the future. Sometimes being introduced to a good precept can change your life.
"When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind." -Dr. Wayne W. Dyer
http://twloha.com/blog/we-are-stories-still-going This link is a blog by Jaime Tworkowski, the founder of TWLOHA. I am an active member of USI's Uchapter of TWLOHA. I read this blog on a day that I was feeling very depressed. It has helped me a lot. Maybe it could help you too. We are all stories still going. Now Auggie gets to add characters to his.